KT10 9RA. Youve accepted analytics cookies. It dates back way before the Doomsday book and this is what makes it such an interesting river to paddle. An epic 9 hour paddle/tree climb/portage-fest, down the River Mole from Fetcham to Hersham with friends from London. Turn right on the wide track beside the river. Emergency services rushed to the River Mole between Esher and Hersham on Wednesday morning (October 12) after receiving a report that a body part had been seen in the water. , Five of the mills mentioned in Domesday Book were in the borough of Elmbridge.. In The Faerie Queene (first published in 1590) Edmund Spenser wrote of the river: In Poly-Olbion (first published in 1612) the poet Michael Drayton described the journey taken by the River Thames to the sea: This Mole runnes into the earth, about a mile from Darking in Surrey, and after some two miles sees the light againe, which to be certaine hath been affirmed by Inhabitants thereabout reporting triall made of it. This is a new service your feedback will help us to improve it. In 1579 Queen Elizabeth granted to Thomas Vincent "the manor, site, and demesne lands of Morehall, and the wood called Sylkesmore coppice". The Stepping Stones The Thames was lapping the edge of Hurst road, but fortunately that major river had reached its peak. The most recent mill was demolished in 1959, although the mill house still stands. As part of the development of Hersham a new shopping centre was built in the early 1980s with a large supermarket (30k sq feet ) now occupied by Waitrose, although the whole complex is currently under consideration for major redevelopment by the owners. Esher is located to the east of Hersham, at the meeting point of the A244 and A307 (Portsmouth Road). A similar trench is runs up several of the Mole's tributaries, notably along Deanoak Brook which follows a local strike. Erected in 1992 to replace the original bridge presented by the, A five-arch brick viaduct constructed by the. Somewhere around 200 B.C. River Thames Bookmark All 85 planned road closures in Surrey this week including Farnham, Reigate and Walton-on-Thames Traffic and Travel Bookmark 54 Surrey road closures this week including. , Domesday Book listed twenty mills on the River Mole in 1086. The restoration project was dedicated to the memory of the Canadian servicemen who were billeted in the manor during the Second World War. , The river has captured the imagination of several authors and poets, particularly since in very hot summers the river channel can become dry between Dorking and Leatherhead (most recently during the 1976 drought).. Get flood warnings by phone, text or email.  A second non-native species, the edible frog (Pelophylax kl. The airport was fined 30,000 by Lewes Crown Court. a huge defensive earthwork was erected on top of St George's Hill (ecclesiastically in Hersham, but in Weybridge post town), probably as a refuge camp against invaders coming up the Thames Valley. The River Mole arises in Sussex and enters Surrey at Gatwick airport. 5 0 obj  The next major tributary, The Rye, (which drains Ashtead) joins to the north of Leatherhead, before the river is crossed by the M25 motorway. The Pipp Brook drains the northernmost heavily wooded slopes of Leith Hill (which include Squire's Great Wood and Abinger Forest), as well as areas of. This was estimated in 2004 to have consisted of around 7,000 birds.. Part of a guide to angling in Surrey. , In common with much of the rest of the Weald, the earliest evidence of human settlement along the Upper Mole is from the Mesolithic Period (20,0007000BC).  The first bridge on this site was probably constructed during the late Middle Ages and was rebuilt and enlarged by the county surveyor, George Gwilt in 178283. , The river crossing at Sidlow Bridge was heavily defended and a line of pill boxes was constructed on the north bank of the river.  The Gatwick Stream is dominated by coarse fish such as brown trout, brook lamprey, and eel. Hersham Green, in the nucleus of the village, is 3.4 acres (1.4 ha) of open space where regular events take place throughout the summer. It then swings east and joins the Thames between East Molesey and Thames Ditton at Albany Reach and Cigarette . Hersham contained one manor alone known as Morehall alias Sylkesmore or Southwood. John Milton (c. 15621647) described the river as, In a similar vein, Alexander Pope (16881744) wrote in his poem Windsor Forest (first published 1713). The River Mole and Stepping Stones are in front of you. At Boxhill Farm, where access to the river from the north bank was required for the herd of dairy cows, a row of twelve concrete cylinders were cast as an anti-tank measure. , The drainage area of the River Mole is 477km2 (184sqmi) and forms 5% of the River Thames's catchment area above Teddington. A flood warning means flooding to some property is expected. However, during the early 1930s, when Hampton Court Way and the bridge were built, the River Mole was redirected to flow into the River Ember and both rivers now enter the Thames in a single widened and straightened channel once occupied only by the River Ember. Look out for.  Remains of a flat-bottomed dug-out canoe were found at the confluence of the Mole and Thames in 1877 by a local boatman. During the Commonwealth it was used for gunpowder manufacture, but after the restoration of the monarchy in 1660 it reverted to corn milling.  In John Speed's 1611 map of Surrey this stretch of the river is denoted by a series of hills accompanied by the legend "The river runneth under". Their first men's team is notable in the region and saw 2012-14 among the upper 50% of clubs in RFU National League 1 (the third level of the sport in England), having been relegated in the previous season. These levels can help you understand your flood risk now and over the next few days.  When the Dorking to Leatherhead railway was constructed in 1859, a fossilised swallow hole was discovered in the cutting at the south end of Box Hill & Westhumble railway station, suggesting that even in its early history, the river had swallow holes.. Two golf courses are within its bounds, Burhill Golf Club and Hersham Village Golf Club; considerable other land is wooded, used for mixed farming or Esher Rugby Club,[n 1] much of which is Metropolitan Green Belt. The trail is open year-round and is . Original wooden Victorian bridge replaced by a stone parapet bridge in 1907 and the present concrete bridge dates from 1965. .  The river may be paddled all year by canoe between Brockham and Fetcham with an appropriate licence from the British Canoe Union.  Twelve Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) that include wetland habitats are located within the Mole catchment area, and the stretch of river through Leatherhead has been designated a Local Nature Reserve. , Castle Mill at Pixham is a Grade II listed building. Esher is located to the east of Hersham, at the meeting point of the A244 and A307 (Portsmouth Road). [note 7], The name Mole does not appear until the 16th century, first occurring as Moule in Harrison's Description of Britain of 1577.  Finally the Mole splits into two branches at the Island Barn Reservoir near Molesey: the northern (and smaller) branch continues as the River Mole and the southern branch is known as the River Ember. Mole (Horley to Hersham) takes in water from an area around 151.017 km2 in size and is part of the Mole Lower and Rythe catchment area. Wed also like to use analytics cookies so we can understand how you use the service and make improvements. [_ch MP=e(3+K}h;,x5K_>. A full list of the tributaries is given in the table below. Mention of a court held at Hersham in 1272 by Reginald de Imworth and Matilda his wife, may indicate that he was then lord of the manor. Barker, J L & D M (1996) 'Hark Back to Hersham' (self-published); Greenwood, George (1986, 3rd Edition Revised) 'Hersham in Surrey' (Elmbridge Museum Service); Pulford, J S L (1988) 'The Church of St Peter Hersham - Monumental Inscriptions' (Walton & Weybridge Local History Society, Paper No. Hersham is a charming little station in Surrey, with views over fields, the River Mole and a local golf course. Own label and private label building productsWe produce, brand and supply for some of the biggest names in the industry. , The West End Common forms part of the Esher Commons, owned and managed by Elmbridge Borough Council. For the hamlet in Cornwall, see, The artefact-rich manor is at Burhill Road KT12 4BJ, Will of Dame Dorothye Edmondes, widow of Sir Christopher Edmondes, of 'Est Moulsey, Surrey', line 39 of her registered will; National Archives; PROB 11, proved 21 Sept 1615: 'And the lease of the Coppice called the Hurst Coppice, lying & being in Haversham, in the parish of Waltoun, in the said county' (spelling modernized), 'The Memoirs of Herbert Hoover, The Cabinet & Presidency 19201933' (Pub. Below Leatherhead the river has historically supported larger predatory fish including chub, perch, pike, and eels, however in recent years chub and eel numbers have begun to decline. The undershot wheel at Painshill Park was restored in 1987 and is located at the end of an artificial, Mary Drinkwater Bethune was the daughter of the English army officer and military historian, Shepperd R (1982) The Manor of Wistomble in the Parish of Mickleham, WE Foster WB Harris (1988) Flood Alleviation Scheme for the Lower River Mole, Wooldridge SW (1938) The glaciation of the London Basin and the evolution of the lower Thames drainage system, Bridgland and Gibbard (1997) Quaternary River Diversions in the London Basin and the Eastern English Channel, Ruse LP (1996) Multivariate techniques relating macroinvertebrate and environmental data from a river catchment, P. Follett (1996) Mole Valley Natural History Audit: Survey of, JW Grover (1887) Chalk springs in the London basin, illustrated by the Newbury, Wokingham, Leatherhead and Rickmansworth Water Works, The Fairie Queen, book 4, canto 11, verse 32, Poly-Olbion, Song XVII lines 47-50, 53-57, 59-64, Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs), Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, heavy flooding of East Molesey and Thames Ditton in September 1968, A tour thro' the Whole Island of Great Britain, "The Mole Catchment Abstraction Management Strategy", "Our nations' fisheries: The migratory and freshwater fisheries of England and Wales a snapshot", "Urgent fish rescue in River Mole near Dorking after heatwave causes dramatic fall in water levels", "A guide to the industrial archaeology of the borough of elmbridge", "Small hydroelectric power: Betchworth Park", "Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty", "Gatwick Airport Corporate Responsibility Report", HL Deb, 11 September 1972 vol 335 cc138-165, "Water firms 'abusing' sewage law loophole", "Mole (Hersham to R. Thames conf at East Molesey)", "Photograph of swallow-hole in bed of River Mole", "Environment Agency rescue fish from River Mole in Surrey as water levels drop", "In pictures: Environment Agency workers rescue fish from dried-out River Mole", "Excursions to the Farnham Gravel Pits on April 23rd and to the Brickfields and Gravel Pits at Dawley, between Hayes and West Drayton on April 30th 1904", "On a recent Section through Walton Common exposing the London Clay, Bagshot Beds, and Plateau-gravel", "Detail from Rocque's Map of Surrey, c1768", "A late Bronze Age hoard from Norbury Park, Mickleham", "Political Institutions and the Emergence of Regulatory Commitment in England: Evidence from Road and River Improvement Authorities, 1600-1750", "Leatherhead Bridge, Bridge Street (1028646)", "Railway viaduct approximately 15 metres west of road bridge over River Mole (1028596)", "Ornamental bridge approximately 70 metres north of Thorncroft Bridge (1293520)", "Railway bridge and platform over the River Ember", "River Ember: Hampton Court railway station bridge", "A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Elmbridge", "Stepping Stones Footbridge over the River Mole, at the foot of Box Hill, near Dorking Surrey", "Flanchford Bridge rebuilding project delayed again", "Bridge over the River Mole, Sidlow Bridge, Surrey", "River Mole, west of Horley from the Lee Street Bridge", "TQ2137: The River Mole gushes out from under Lambs Green Bridge", "The Great Fire At Burns And Co, Lower Green Esher", "Molesey Mills: A history of the mills and milling", Environment Agency: River Mole information, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=River_Mole&oldid=1138898427, Articles with dead external links from July 2021, Articles with permanently dead external links, Wikipedia articles needing clarification from November 2012, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Mole (Hersham to R. Thames conf at East Molesey).  Remains of a further gravel terrace, containing cherts and flints to a depth of 4m (13ft), line the east side of St George's Hill. In more recent times the punk group Sham 69 with lead singer Jimmy Pursey, had its roots in Hersham. The present building dates from the 18th century but it is inaccessible to the public. The bridge was rebuilt in 1991. Today the Mole and Wey are less than 2km (1.2mi) apart at their closest point near Painshill Park. Hersham is served by Hersham and Walton-on-Thames railway stations with a minimum of two trains per hour even on Sundays and differing types of services on the South West Main Line.  An anti-tank ditch was dug from the Stepping Stones eastwards across the fields belonging to Bradley Farm (now Denbies vineyard).  The Earlswood Brook, a tributary draining the urban area of Reigate and Redhill, joins the Mole at Sidlow. There is a Waitrose at 105 High Street, KT10 9QE. Not all of the water removed from the river by the swallow holes is returned to the channel at Leatherhead. , The single-span Shell Bridge stands in the grounds of Thorncroft Manor, to the south of the Town Centre. The path leads to the Mole near a concrete bridge.  Much of the catchment area lies on impermeable rock (including Weald Clay and London Clay), meaning that the river level responds rapidly to heavy rainfall. In this it was said, "I can see no future for [The Mole]. Youve accepted analytics cookies. The other locations were at Burhill Golf Club ('W32'- see below) plus Corbie Wood ('W86' which included both a Bellman hangar and an Air Ministry T.2 Type hangar) and Riseholme ('W63'), both located on the St George's Hill side of Seven Hills Road. The stones give their name to the pub in the nearby village of Westhumble. In the nucleus of the village is Hersham Green, 3.4 acres (1.4ha) of open space on which regular events take place throughout the year. It was used to process corn, brass wire, iron, paper, linoleum, and books.  A planned community also exists in the south almost entirely for the retired, Whiteley Village. Sham 69 took their name from the remnants of a piece of graffiti in the area which made reference to when Walton and Hersham Football Club secured the Athenian League title in 1969. Frederick Wicks (18401910), author and inventor, retired to the village and died there. The present Anglican church of St. Peter was built by Mr. J. L. Pearson, R.A., in 1887 on a site was given by Lieut. The second-largest Sewage Treatment Works (STW) in the Mole catchment is located on the Gatwick Stream 3km (1.9mi) upstream of the confluence with the Mole: Crawley STW discharges 15,000m3 (530,000cuft) of water per day, and in prolonged dry periods it accounts for up to 75% of the flow of the Mole downstream of the confluence. Luftwaffe bombers also dropped various bombs on and around Hersham and six V-1 flying bombs exploded in the parish. Wed also like to use analytics cookies so we can understand how you use the service and make improvements. Hersham is served by Hersham and Walton-on-Thames railway stations with a minimum of two trains per hour and differing types of services on the South West Main Line. The bridge is a long structure of 14 segmental arches resting on low piers, finished in red brick in Flemish bond, with some Portland stone dressing. Designed by Anthony Fletcher and fitted with an ABC Scorpion aero engine, this was test flown from nearby Brooklands and had could have been built in quantity but became a victim of the economic depression of 1929-32. , Significant Bronze Age finds include a bronze sword found close to the river north of Amberley Farm near Charlwood and a small hoard of weaponry consisting of two palstave axes and a scabbard chape was discovered in 2003 in Norbury Park close to Ham Bank. This trail is great for road biking, running, and walking, and it's unlikely you'll encounter many other people while exploring. , Horley Mill was first mentioned in a deed of the early 13th century.  The course of the Mole within the airport perimeter has been altered several times since commercial flights began in 1945; however the meanders visible on the 1839 tithe map in the 1.5km (0.93mi) stretch immediately north of the runway were reinstated in 1999, in a 1.2 million project to facilitate airport expansion. Mole (Horley to Hersham) is 60.133 km long and is not designated artificial or heavily modified. The nearest tackle shops are Esher Angling Centre at Pond House, Weston Green, Thames Ditton KT7 0JX, and Surbiton Angling Centre (31 Station Approach, Esher KT10 0SR). These levels can help you understand your flood risk now and over the next few days. River Mole, West End Recreation Ground NO FISHING. Emergency services rushed to the River Mole between Esher and Hersham on Wednesday morning (October 12) after receiving a report that a body part had been seen in the water. , Standard water quality of Mole and its tributaries has improved markedly since the 1990s. Hersham is also home to Britain's largest colony of parakeets near Esher Rugby Club. large bittercress (Cardamine amara) and the non-native Himalayan balsam (Impatiens glandulifera). We'll update this page when there's a flood alert in the area, which means flooding to low lying land is possible. Just across from the green is a shopping centre, consisting of multiple shops and restaurants. The Anglo-Saxons may well have been the first permanent settlers here; they gave the name to the place and no older remains of actual dwellings in areas not mentioned above have been found. Post Reply . Rebuttals included that the Mole is a "charming Surrey steam" and "If Lord Lytton went to fish in the River Mole and there are still angling clubs there he would find that he would still be able to catch a trout". Tonawanda to Buffalo via Shoreline Trail Riverwalk. In 1540 he purchased from John Carleton the "manor of Morehall or Sylkesmore" in Hersham, together with lands and woods in Burwood and Hatch in Hersham. The sudden change from impermeable Weald Clay to permeable chalk and the increased gradient[note 4] of the river, allow the water table to drop below the bed of the river. ", READ MORE: Emergency services find nothing after report of 'body part' in River Mole near Hersham - recap. The Mole descends 15m[49ft] in the 10km[6mi] stretch between Brockham and Leatherhead, compared to 3m[9.8ft] in 19km[12mi] between Horley and Brockham. The proportion of households in the settlement who owned their home outright compares to the regional average of 35.1%. The path leads to the Mole near a concrete bridge. A multi-span composite deck supported on steelwork tresses with a total span of 48m (157ft) and a main span of 22m (72ft) over the river itself. Turn left, signposted Hersham and follow this almost to the gates of a caravan site. As always you can unsubscribe at any time. The journey to Waterloo takes about 50 minutes. I made up the walk using O/S Explorer Maps from a series of paths, tracks and roads which followed the course of the River Mole as near as possible. Get to know this 15.9-mile out-and-back trail near Buffalo, New York. Surrey Fire and. The first, in 1663, was passed by the House of Commons but was defeated in the House of Lords. , Esher Mill also known as Royal Mill was at the end of Mill Road in Lower Green, where there is now an industrial estate. The path runs between high wire fences. A website by Gorge Services Ltd. All rights reserved. [note 3]. In this manner it goes away, lessening the stream for above a mile, near two, and these they call the Swallows. Mole (Horley to Hersham) is 60.133 km long The bridge has a 15m (49ft) span with mass concrete abutments and a pre-stressed concrete deck. The 1st XV play in a black-amber strip. Leaving Dorking, the River Mole skirts the south west of Leatherhead and then Cobham, before heading north between Hersham and Esher.